Trail Of Death Journey

Journal notes walking the "Trail of Death" tracing the Potawatomi Indians forced removal from Indiana to Kansas in 1838. This blog is in process of being re-ordered and moved to www.trailofdeath.org

My Photo
Name:
Location: Marion, Indiana, United States

Professor Emeritus

4/13/2006

I have been reading all year getting ready for this journey, the letters from people who went on the journey, especially the Priest and the "conductor" of the removal. But now it is time to actually get gear ready--yet I'm not ready for that. I have another week of classes--where I have to grade final "papers" then a week of exams grading, then graduation..then I'm off... I plan to leave the day after graduation, the last day of April so I can starting walking may 1st. When will I pack? Who knows... I'm packing in my head now, but I probably won't do it until the night before. Oh well, this trek is not like my normal wilderness backpacking treks on the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail where you go a week without a store. I'll pass some little store daily I suppose, so I'm not freaking out yet. My head is working in "background" but most of my attention is on finishing my semester strong, not on this walk. I should have given myself a few days cushion--no matter I'll just do it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is amazing... I think it's incredible that you're doing it! And I'll be really excited to read the book when you're done. What was your inspiration for the trip? I mean, what gave you the idea?

1:47 PM  
Blogger Keith Drury said...

I just read a little piece in my local newspaper about "Indiana's own Trail of Tears" and started researching it--it was captivating and it simply drew me in. Thanks for the note--stay in touch!

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home